'Galway Bay is Calling'
Galway Bay is Calling is a collaborative project that Music for Galway (and Cellissimo 2024) is running in partnership with the Galway Atlantaquaria (GA) and ATU.
It involves three community music groups:
The Galway Jam Circle
Claddagh Choral: A Voice of Galway
Three marine specialists:
Dr. Maria Vittoria Marra, Dr. Joao Frias and Garry Kendellen
One composer/cellist/performer: Naomi Berrill
What is it about?
The project is about informing the participants about marine life, about Galway Bay, and to get them to think about how we influence the ocean and how it influences us. They will learn what they can do to mitigate stresses on our beloved bay and on the oceans of the world.
And the music?
Next they will co-create a new piece of music with cellist/composer/singer Naomi Berrill. She will visit them in rehearsal and talk to them, play with them and bring their impressions and sounds inspired by the workshops with the Atlantaquaria people and write a piece for her as soloist with them, the project orchestra/choir. This piece will get its premiere on the opening day of Cellissimo (18th - 26th May, 2024) in Leisureland.
This is a project funded through the Creative Climate Action Fund, an initiative that is managed by Creative Ireland. This project is funded through the Spark Stream, by the Department of Tourism, Culture, Arts, Gaeltacht, Sport and Media and the Department of the Environment, Climate and Communication.
Workshop 1: Rockpool Exploration with Garry Kendellen (GA) (all involved)
- Sat 16 Sep, 11:30am to 1:30pm
- Grattan Beach
- This is an outdoor workshop so we will have the following make up dates if weather prevents this workshop from happening: Sun 17 Sep from 12:00-2:030pm OR Sun 1 Oct from 12:00-2:00pm (this would be a last resort!)
2nd rock pooling experience: Saturday 14 October at 10.30am
Workshop 2: Aquarium Tours with Dr. Maria Vittoria Marra (Education and Public Engagement Officer GA)
- Tue 17 Oct - Claddagh Choral's Adult Community Choir - 2 sessions may be required to accommodate numbers (sessions limited to 25 people)
- Wed 18 Oct - Galway Adult Strings
- Thu 19 Oct - Galway Jam Circle
Workshop 3: Behaviour Change Sessions with Dr. Joao Frias (ATU)
- Tue 7 Nov - Claddagh Choral's Adult Community Choir - 2 sessions may be required to accommodate numbers (sessions limited to 25 people)
- Wed 8 Nov - Galway Adult Strings
- Thu 9 Nov - Galway Jam Circle
Music Workshop: Naomi meets with each group during their session times, to get their impression and ideas for the composition
- Thu 13 Nov - Galway Jam Circle (note this date was moved)
- Tue 14 Nov - Claddagh Choral's Adult Community Choir
- Wed 15 Nov - Galway Adult Strings
- Naomi Berrill to provide finished composition in desired form to each group
MARCH TO MAY
- Each group to rehearse the piece as required in advance of the main rehearsals
- Sat 11 May - 2 hour rehearsal with conductor
- Wed 15 May - 2 hour rehearsal (if required)
- Fri 17 May - 3 hour rehearsal - full programme
- Sat 18 May, 10am to 12 noon - dress rehearsal and sound balance / 1.00pm - Cellissimo - Galway Bay is Calling Concert - Leisureland: each group perform individually and new composition premiered by all ensembles together
Fri 20th September - CULTURE NIGHT: each group performs independently at the Galway Atlantaquaria.