This exhibition will highlight the Galway Cello, a cello fashioned of timber grown in Co. Galway (concept Philip Fogarty) for Cellissimo as part of the Galway 2020 European Capital of Culture programme and commissioned by Music for Galway from luthier Kuros Torkzadeh. It will document the creation of the cello from Galway sourced timber, and its connection to a classic 1710 Stradivarius Cello which once belonged to the Gore-Booth family of Lissadell House, Co.Sligo.
A specially commissioned cellist’s chair, designed and made by students of the Centre for Creative Arts and Media GMIT, will also be displayed.
Other highlights of the exhibition include:
- a new short film featuring Adrian Mantu, of ConTempo String Quartet, playing Lamentatio by Giovanni Sollima on the Galway Cello
- a live performance by Berlin based electronic cellist Lucy Railton
- individual photographic portraits of Galway cellists playing the new cello
- pop-up performances by visiting cellists
- a lecture on the making of the Galway cello by Kuros Torkzadeh
- a short documentary film on the making of the cello
The Cellissimo Exhibition is curated by Rob D’Eath
ADMISSION IS FREE